Wednesday 17 June 2009

Wolves eat up Hahnemann

Marcus Hahnemann has joined the enemy.

Wolverhampton Wanderers have been snapping at our players again. Fair enough, he’s out of contract but geez he could have joined anyone else.

Simon Osborne, Aidy Williams and Michael Gilkes all moved up north and it was painstakingly punishing for any Reading fan to see our players put on the horrible brown of Wolves. It does leave a bitter taste in my mouth that Hahnemann elected to join them.

I don’t like Wolves. Never have done.

It’s not a case of being bitter but not much about Wolves I like. I remember coming back from a goal down to win 2-1 in the last minutes of the game at Elm Park years ago and I have never felt such relief and excited at a victory. It was the proudest victory I ever saw with my dad and it remains one of my fondest memories at the old Stadium.

Mick McCarthy pounced on a good goalkeeper that we’ve unfortunately released, and he
knows a good one when he sees one. He’ll be a brilliant back up to Wayne Hennessey, and he’ll probably eventually take over the Number 1 spot.

Hahnemann was as important as anyone else in our recent era and it will be difficult to see him wearing any goalkeeper jersey other than Reading’s. Will he be throwing his top into the crowd after a win – I hope not. That was special for us, and kids including my 38-year-old sister adore him to the ground.

The United States international is now back in the Premier League and his eight years at Madejski Stadium will be remembered fondly.

I hope he does well.

1 comment: